Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Assignment 5

As an art history major, I was interested in selecting an image of Cinderella to consider in light of our class discussion. I picked Elenore Abbott’s illustration from a collection of Grimm’s tales (http://www.surlalunefairytales.com/illustrations/cinderella/abbottcindy.html). The scene that is captured by Abbott is when “Cinderella went to her mother’s grave beneath the hazel tree and cried out: ‘shake and wobble, little tree! Let gold and silver fall all over me.” (Grimm 81)

What struck me about the image was its overt references to Cinderella’s piety. She kneels at the tree with her hands folded, looking up to a higher power with closed eyes, as if she was in prayer. The shadow of the birds’ path also encircles Cinderella like a giant halo, alluding to her morality and angelic goodness. Furthermore, the birds seem to be represented as white doves. They hold religious undertones, as the Holy Spirit is articulated by white doves throughout the history of art. The gold aura at Cinderella’s knees is also an interesting aspect of the image. Because she is kneeling at her mother’s grave, this seems to represent the spirit of her mother in all its grandeur and goodness. In total, the image reflects what we discussed in class today in light of the Grimm version- the pious and moral Cinderella being protected by her mother from beyond the grave.

2 comments:

  1. I like your analysis of this illustration! It is interesting to see how many religious connotations seem to be infused into this image. My favorite detail that you point out is the bird halo and how that represents morality of Cinderella as well as religious ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with a lot of religion coming through in this image. I also find it interesting that not all story versions of Cinderella have her praying to her mother. I know that later in the class we are going to watch "In To The Woods" I saw it on Broadway when I was in 7th grade and that was the 1st time I saw the Cinderella character praying and talking to her dead mother... interesting....

    ReplyDelete